Position description and scope
The successful candidate will be a member of a Chemistry Team and will provide important research experience and skills for the organization. Reporting to the VP of Chemistry and Development, the Principal Scientist/Associate Director will be responsible for leading the design, synthesis, purification, and analysis processes required to produce a wide range of modified and/or conjugated oligonucleotides. In addition, they will be responsible for supporting the chemistry strategic aspects for the program.
- Design, execute and characterize new complex chemical strategies for the preparation of target molecules.
- Develop and optimize methods for the preparation and purification of complex oligonucleotides and conjugates.
- Lead from the bench and ensure adherence to timelines and project alignment to meet group and company goals.
- Works cross functionally with counterparts in manufacturing and biological screening to ensure effective transfer of compounds and SAR data analysis.
- Troubleshoot various synthesis, purification and analytical equipment within the lab.
- Manage external contractors for synthesis/scale-up of raw materials, starting materials, oligonucleotides and targeting ligands.
- Present scientific work internally and externally as appropriate.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry or related field with a minimum of 5 years of industry experience or a MS with at least 8 years of industry experience in oligonucleotide chemistry.
- Effective interpersonal skills, including both written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to think critically and to work independently as well as in a team setting.
- Ability to work within schedules and deadline.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and function in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Substantial experience with oligonucleotide synthesizers is essential.
- Versed in methodologies of synthetic organic chemistry.
- Strong work ethic, attention to details and good organization skills.
- Will work on assignments that are complex in nature where considerable judgment and initiative are required in resolving problems and making recommendations.
- Significant experience in various preparative chromatographic separation techniques (IEX and RPC) as well as UF/DF of oligonucleotides.
- Experience with instrumentation and analytical characterization of oligonucleotides (RPC, LCMS, IEX, UV).
- Experience with post-synthetic modifications and solution conjugation of oligonucleotides is required. Experience in oligonucleotide-peptide conjugation is a plus.
Regulus Therapeutics Inc. (Nasdaq: RGLS) is a biopharmaceutical company leading the discovery and development of innovative medicines targeting microRNAs. Regulus has leveraged its oligonucleotide drug discovery and development expertise to develop a well-balanced microRNA therapeutics pipeline complemented by a rich intellectual property estate to retain its leadership in the microRNA field. Regulus is advancing several programs in renal, and central nervous systems diseases.
Regulus is located in San Diego, California and is led by a seasoned executive team experienced in corporate management, business, science, drug discovery and development. Regulus’ scientific advisory board consists of world-class scientists and some of the foremost authorities in the field of microRNA research.
For immediate consideration, please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY
Regulus Therapeutics Inc. is proud to be an EEO Employer.